Monday, October 11, 2010

Frederick Douglass Chapters 8, 9, & 10

The whole while I was reading this section I was thinking of the saying "It gets worse before it gets better." I think that now that its getting worse and worse, it can only start to get better for Douglass. Now he is actually talking about running away to be free, rather than just dreaming about being free. The next step will be the actual action of him escaping, and the result will be freedom. That's what I think the story is leading up to.
I don't all that much like Covey, because he's cruel, but that doesn't set him aside from all the other slave holders who were equally cruel to their slaves. Overall, I don't like any of the slave holders with the exception of the woman who taught him to read. That is until she turned into a vicious slaveholder like all the rest. His actual owner who oversees Covey seems to be the best however. He was fair to Douglass aside from whipping threats, but that's common culture, and he seems the most reasonable. I was glad Douglass could go to him for help.
Comments & Questions
Chapter 8
Comment: His master dying brought Douglass new opportunity.
Question: If his grandmother was "free", why didn't she just leave that place?
Chapter 9
Comment: I don't like any of his masters so far, especially Thomas.
Question: If slaves were property, why wouldn't the slaveholders take care of their stuff?
Chapter 10
Comment: Good for Douglass! Standing up against Covey mad me happy.
Question: Why was Douglass not punished for rebelling against Covey?

4 comments:

  1. Garret,
    I really like how you responded to the writing by giving an excerpt of what you think will happen in the story. You always write very very well and that is awesome. I also liked how you put your opinion into your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is superb. I like all the important details and facts you put in it haha good work and keep it up too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you predict what is going to happen next because it really shows that you understood what you read. I also liked how you talked about what was going on in your head while you were reading. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garret, I agree with what you said, all of it was very true to me. I like the way you wrote it, it made it very easy to read and understand, good job

    ReplyDelete