Monday, October 4, 2010

Frederick Douglass Chapters 2, 3, & 4

I thought what Douglass described was horrible. I knew things like this happened as a slave, but I never thought about it or imagined how horrific it all was. He hasn't even begun to describe the hard work they went through each and every day, and it still is awful. I am glad this isn't going on today. What makes it worse is that all of this was witnessed as a child. He had to deal with his family dieing everyday, and still go out there with minimal clothing and do his duties.
The story of the man that was shot and killed for standing in the water and not getting out disturbed me. Also of the girl who was beaten to death because the child she was babysitting cried. This upset me because not only is killing wrong, but to lose a life for these reasons is just terrible. Whipping was bad enough for punishment for stupid things, but death is definitely not okay.
This also inflicted fear in all the slaves and demolished all hope they had in their overworked bones. They were tough though, to have less than adequate food and clothing, to work as they did, and do watch as their peers were beaten and killed right before they're eyes.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on what you said, I like the way you wrote your response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. garret, i liked your respose. you stayed on topic while getting straight to the point. i liked how you explained why you thought these acts were wrong. but your title says chapters 1-3, but we read 2-4

    ReplyDelete