Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Awakening

To start, I would just like to say that I would not recommend this to a friend for the mere sake of reading, but I might however recommend it for educational purposes. The book marks an important age in womens' rights and their self-discovery. It does this, in a very drab and slow process though. I found this aspect of it difficult to read and stay focused, but i did get it done.
The author tells the story of womens' advancement in society through one woman's life, which I did enjoy. I found that to be preferrable over a non-fiction informative novel of womans' role in society. This woman's name is Edna and the reader follows her through her journey of self-discovery. It's not until the end when Edna finally has an awakening. She sets an example for women everywhere in her decisions and actions, and although I don't agree with all of them, I admire her for that. I found her progression through the novel quite interesting seeing as she changed so much from the beginning, going from a conformist to a non-conformist and also becoming independent and making her own decision for the first time. That was really the point of the novel, and I think the author did a good job of expressing this. It wasnt an easy read, or a good read for all that matter, but it was important.

No comments:

Post a Comment