Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Farewell to Arms

I began reading "A Farewell to Arms" by Earnest Hemingway. I chose to read this novel because last trimester I read another one of his novels, and was interested to read more of his work. The story is about a war through the eyes of an American in the Italian army who drives an ambulance. I know from reading the back cover that this is taking place during world war I, but that’s pretty much all I know about the war.
The main character is an American, but joined the Italian army since he was in Italy at the time and knew Italian. He told this story to a Miss Barkley, the so called future wife of his friend and roommate, lieutenant Rinaldi. Miss Barkley was engaged to another man before, but he was killed in the army. Miss Barkley became a nurse when he enlisted hoping that someday he might come in with a bullet wound in the shoulder, saying how romantic or picturesque that would be, but he never did come home.
I thought that was a little sad and it begin to shows how war hurts people. At least Miss Barkley has found someone else, but he is enlisted as well as a surgeon, so things might not change, but get worse. The book has a slow beginning but once it gets started I think it will be interesting and I look forward to that. I also think war stories are interesting to read about, because with action usually comes with war as well as drama, which both are very interesting to read about. So good book I think. Also I like Hemingway, so yea, its going to be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment